6 Marathons in 6 Days? Are You Nuts??!

That's the typical response I get when people discover what I'm attempting, but then running 245kms across the Sahara desert is no easy feat. One of the reasons that I’m taking on this challenge is ‘mid life crisis’ – plain and simple. But there’s another, more relevant reason:

UNICEF is currently working to maintain a number of refugee camp schools to help the 100’s of thousands of children from Darfur that have been displaced from their homes. Most of these child refugees from Darfur have never been to school, living in massive makeshift refugee camps, often having lost one or both parents through violence.” These school perform a vital function and I want to help make a difference by using this opportunity to raise funds and awareness for their maintencance and upkeep.

Monday, September 8, 2008

Putting your best foot forward

Had a great run yesterday - I ran 1/2 of the Baden Powel Trail (the section from Horeshoe Bay to the Cleavland Dam). The trail was covered in bear poop. Somehow I managed to avoid stepping in any of the large blue steaming landmines only to accidentally plant my right foot in a bog!

It was very disconcerting as I was stuck but good... I actually had to dig myself free as all my pulling was only helping me to lose my shoe. I looked pretty funny all covered in muck when I finally got home. But all in all it was a great 5 hour run on a beautiful day.

No comments: