6 Marathons in 6 Days? Are You Nuts??!

That's the typical response I get when people discover what I'm attempting, but then running 245kms across the Sahara desert is no easy feat. One of the reasons that I’m taking on this challenge is ‘mid life crisis’ – plain and simple. But there’s another, more relevant reason:

UNICEF is currently working to maintain a number of refugee camp schools to help the 100’s of thousands of children from Darfur that have been displaced from their homes. Most of these child refugees from Darfur have never been to school, living in massive makeshift refugee camps, often having lost one or both parents through violence.” These school perform a vital function and I want to help make a difference by using this opportunity to raise funds and awareness for their maintencance and upkeep.

Friday, September 19, 2008

Meet your Fellow Marathon Des Sables Competitors

The race organizers have now opened up the online discussion forums and I'm getting a chance to meet other Marathon Des Sables racers. Seems like a friendly lot but wow - there are some seriously accomplished atheletes here.

Some of my friends look at me like I'm a serious endurance athlete as I've done a few marathons and triathlons. But having had a chance to see some of the bios of other competitors I'm beginning to look and feel like a rank amatuer.

It seems that many of this years competitors are experienced ultra marathoners (100+km runs) and ironmen triathletes (2km swim, 180 km bike, followed by a 44km run). One gentleman here in the Greater Vancouver area is running 20 marathons in 2 years... impressive!

Another Vancouverite has run the Badwater Ultra, a 135 mile race from Death Valley to Mount Whitney. It's difficult to put into words just what a feat this is, so I won't bother to try.

After having a chance to connect with these people it is easy to come away both inspired and humbled at the same time. If I had any illusions about being in the front of the pack for this race I assure you that they have been dropped.

I guess my goal for this race will remain the same - compete only with myself and let everyone else run the best race that they can run. I suspect that it truely is going to be all about the journey.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,

Just curiosity: which online discussion forums are you referring to?
Best regards,

John

Ian Cunliffe said...

Hi John,

There are several worth checking out. The one in particular that I am referring to here is maintained by the North American race organizers. It is a members only forum - organizers provide registered North American participants with access.

Another excellent forum worth checking out is
www.themds.co.uk/forums/index.php

Anyone can access the forum and the content is excellent. There is an active community of new and experienced racers with a lot of great discussion and information.

All the best...

Ian

Bryon Powell said...

Hi Ian,
Just yesterday I told the Dreamchasers that I'm in for the 2009 MdS. This morning I googled Marathon des Sables 2009 and found your blog via "43 things." I thought I'd stop in and say a "hi." While I might not meet you until Morocco, I do look forward to meeting you. I've already met at least 5 folks from the American contingent and they're awesome.

Best of luck in training, I'll be following it.

Happy trails,
Bryon

Ray Levasseur said...

Hi Ian,
I am registered for the MDS 2009 and live in Vancouver. I would like to meet other local competitors for training runs, discussions and strategy for surviving the MDS.

Cheers,
Ray

Ian Cunliffe said...

Hi Bryon,

Welcome to the 2009 race! I'm looking forward to seeing you on race day!

Bryon Powell said...

Hi Ian, nice timing... I just saw your new post come up on my RSS feed. See you in a few weeks.

Unknown said...

Hi,
I am running the 2010 MDS and tried to find you on the Dreamchasers forum but can't seem to track you down?
I am also from North Vancouver so would be great if we could speak about the race.
Tiffany