6 Marathons in 6 Days? Are You Nuts??!

That's the typical response I get when people discover what I'm attempting, but then running 245kms across the Sahara desert is no easy feat. One of the reasons that I’m taking on this challenge is ‘mid life crisis’ – plain and simple. But there’s another, more relevant reason:

UNICEF is currently working to maintain a number of refugee camp schools to help the 100’s of thousands of children from Darfur that have been displaced from their homes. Most of these child refugees from Darfur have never been to school, living in massive makeshift refugee camps, often having lost one or both parents through violence.” These school perform a vital function and I want to help make a difference by using this opportunity to raise funds and awareness for their maintencance and upkeep.

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Bear Essentials

Ok, I’ve just got time to fire off a quick and hopefully amusing post. Saturday I was running over the mountain trails from Horseshoe Bay to the Cleveland Dam through some thick mist and light rain. I was running downhill in the Hollyburn area when I ran across a tree stump on the trail ahead.

I thought it was odd as I didn’t remember a stump being there a week ago. However the mist has a way of playing tricks on the eye. As I got closer I thought again that something didn’t seem quite right. It was only when I got within 60 feet of the stump and noticed it had a ‘twitching tail’ that I realized I had run into a bear.

Now the bear was in the middle of the path, which in my books gives it the right of way! I stood there and looked at the bear. The bear stood there and looked at me. Nothing. I began shouting and flapping my arms in the air. Nothing. I kept shouting and banging rocks together. Nothing.

I was thinking that I was going to have to turn around and hike back the other way (3 more hours) so I dropped my rocks, which for some reason startled the bear. With a strength that was surprising to witness the bear bounded down the trail and off into the underbrush, crashing its way like a large furry wrecking ball!

Yikes!

No comments: