6 Marathons in 6 Days? Are You Nuts??!

That's the typical response I get when people discover what I'm attempting, but then running 245kms across the Sahara desert is no easy feat. One of the reasons that I’m taking on this challenge is ‘mid life crisis’ – plain and simple. But there’s another, more relevant reason:

UNICEF is currently working to maintain a number of refugee camp schools to help the 100’s of thousands of children from Darfur that have been displaced from their homes. Most of these child refugees from Darfur have never been to school, living in massive makeshift refugee camps, often having lost one or both parents through violence.” These school perform a vital function and I want to help make a difference by using this opportunity to raise funds and awareness for their maintencance and upkeep.

Friday, September 5, 2008

When your training bites you in the ass...

Ok, technically it wasn't my butt, it was my thigh. I was running up the mountain above my house early yesterday afternoon doing a little training for my upcoming 'marathon of sand.' It was a perfect day for running. I crested the top and then set off to explore Blue Gentian and Lost Lake. Sunny, quiet and peaceful. I was having a zen-like moment at the side of the lake and thinking about what a perfect day it was shaping up to be. Little did I know my descent would not be so serene.

On my way back down I pass a couple walking their dog off the lead. As I jog past, the dog, without warning, wheels around and bites me in the thigh... The couple stand there like some large herbivores that have been hit by a tranquilizer dart on 'Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom' while their dog continues to try to rip into me. Only after I threaten to bash it's head in if they don't take control of it do they seem to break from their Carl Perkins induced stupor.

"Gosh!" says one of the owners "He usually knows better than to do that."

USUALLY??? So should we assume then that some reasonable percentage of the time he doesn't know better than to bite people? And you are still walking him off the lead??

Is it just me or are some people really indifferent to the well being of others around them? I'd suggest having the dog put down but the owners would undoubtedly just get another dog and do an equally piss poor job of training and handling him or her.

Maybe I should inquire as to the possiblility of having the owners put down...

GGGRRRR

Sorry, I just had to vent.

No comments: