6 Marathons in 6 Days? Are You Nuts??!

That's the typical response I get when people discover what I'm attempting, but then running 245kms across the Sahara desert is no easy feat. One of the reasons that I’m taking on this challenge is ‘mid life crisis’ – plain and simple. But there’s another, more relevant reason:

UNICEF is currently working to maintain a number of refugee camp schools to help the 100’s of thousands of children from Darfur that have been displaced from their homes. Most of these child refugees from Darfur have never been to school, living in massive makeshift refugee camps, often having lost one or both parents through violence.” These school perform a vital function and I want to help make a difference by using this opportunity to raise funds and awareness for their maintencance and upkeep.

Friday, August 15, 2008

Big Bermuda Training Run for the 2009 Marathon Des Sables

Yikes! I’m packing for Bermuda at the moment (I fly out on Sunday) and as I mentioned earlier I’m going to take this opportunity to run across the country while I’m there. It should be about 33 miles with some decent elevation shifts as Bermuda is quite hilly. That plus the heat and humidity should make for a real test on how my training is coming along so far.

The one hiccup is that my knee is still not 100% right.

In biking there is the old adage about the two types of bikers ‘those who have crashed and those who are about to’ – with running the expression should be ‘those who are injured and those who soon will be’. The knee has caused me cut back dramatically on my mileage and intensity in order to give it a chance to heal. I’m nervous about pushing myself but the chance to put ‘ran across a country’ on my life’s resume is just too tempting to pass up on. Plus I’ll never be likely to visit the Vatican so this is likely going to be my best bet for visiting small countries!

I also wanted to say thanks to the support that I have been receiving recently from friends, family and neighbors. Often injury tends to make people depressed but with all the encouragement I’ve been receiving it’s been just about impossible to be down in the dumps for any length of time.

A big question that keeps coming up is how people can make a donation. If you would like to lend a hand you can follow these simple steps.

The first step is to make a cheque out to UNICEF (If possible please don’t make it out to me).

The second (and final) step is to mail the cheque to

Ian Cunliffe
2224 Haywood Ave
West Vancouver, BC

By mailing the cheque to me I will make sure that all the funds go directly to the funding of the refugee camp schools and not into UNICEF’s general revenue.

Thank you all. Your encouragement has been priceless. I’ll be sure to post some photos of my Bermuda run just as soon as I get back from my trip.

I’ll talk to you soon!

Ian

No comments: