6 Marathons in 6 Days? Are You Nuts??!

That's the typical response I get when people discover what I'm attempting, but then running 245kms across the Sahara desert is no easy feat. One of the reasons that I’m taking on this challenge is ‘mid life crisis’ – plain and simple. But there’s another, more relevant reason:

UNICEF is currently working to maintain a number of refugee camp schools to help the 100’s of thousands of children from Darfur that have been displaced from their homes. Most of these child refugees from Darfur have never been to school, living in massive makeshift refugee camps, often having lost one or both parents through violence.” These school perform a vital function and I want to help make a difference by using this opportunity to raise funds and awareness for their maintencance and upkeep.

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Preparation in Bermuda

First off Bermuda is everything that people say it is. Incredible weather, gorgeous beaches and beautiful pastel houses. I've been taking the last few days to enjoy myself and get accilimatized to the heat and humidity, and if the weather forcast is accurate I may try my run across Bermuda on Sunday morning.

I'm pretty excited and more than a little nervous. I was expecting the heat and humidity to be an issue, but I hadn't factored in the traffic. Roads are very narrow here, often with no sidewalks and rock walls on either side giving you no where to get out of the way. Drivers here can also be very agressive... definately not a pedestrian culture.

But I've got my gear assembled and my camera at the ready and I can't think of a more interesting way to explore the island. I'll be posting all about it (assuming that I'm not run over by a car) in the next few days, and I'll load photos when I return home just over a week from now.

Wish me luck...

No comments: