6 Marathons in 6 Days? Are You Nuts??!

That's the typical response I get when people discover what I'm attempting, but then running 245kms across the Sahara desert is no easy feat. One of the reasons that I’m taking on this challenge is ‘mid life crisis’ – plain and simple. But there’s another, more relevant reason:

UNICEF is currently working to maintain a number of refugee camp schools to help the 100’s of thousands of children from Darfur that have been displaced from their homes. Most of these child refugees from Darfur have never been to school, living in massive makeshift refugee camps, often having lost one or both parents through violence.” These school perform a vital function and I want to help make a difference by using this opportunity to raise funds and awareness for their maintencance and upkeep.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

The Marathon Des Sables was Never This Pleasant

Mist and cloud and trees… an absolutely amazing setting for a two hour morning run through Lynn Headwaters. Regrettably the 2009 Marathon Des Sables won’t be that friendly in terms of climate. Ah well, enjoy it while I can.

A good run today and a pleasant surprise – I was featured in the living section of the North Shore News. My mom wants me to clip out the article for her = ).

The knee did well on the run but was tightening up later on in the afternoon. I’ll have to be careful about how hard and how fast I try to get back to my regular training.

I’m heading over to Vancouver Island on Monday. I’ll be up in Port Alberni. Apparently there is a great old logging road trail good for a nice long run. I think I’ll have to check it out.

Thanks to all who sent me an email or gave me a call when they saw the article!

No comments: