6 Marathons in 6 Days? Are You Nuts??!

That's the typical response I get when people discover what I'm attempting, but then running 245kms across the Sahara desert is no easy feat. One of the reasons that I’m taking on this challenge is ‘mid life crisis’ – plain and simple. But there’s another, more relevant reason:

UNICEF is currently working to maintain a number of refugee camp schools to help the 100’s of thousands of children from Darfur that have been displaced from their homes. Most of these child refugees from Darfur have never been to school, living in massive makeshift refugee camps, often having lost one or both parents through violence.” These school perform a vital function and I want to help make a difference by using this opportunity to raise funds and awareness for their maintencance and upkeep.

Sunday, July 27, 2008

Back in my runners and moving closer to the Marathon Des Sables!

Well I managed to go and injure myself a few weeks ago. I was running from UBC to Dundarave and the jarring from the pavement managed to cause my right knee to act up. It’s been a little frustrating having to cut way back on the training but I think I’m almost back to 100% now. = )

I ran the Grouse Grind on Friday with a backpack on. Ok, running might be a little bit of a misnomer but I did manage to make a decent time while carrying some extra weight on my shoulders (and around my mid section…lol).

I’ll be running out in Lynn Headwaters Park today and gradually building my mileage back up over the next two weeks. My short term goal is to be ready to run across Bermuda by mid August. I’ll be house sitting there for about two weeks on the island’s eastern tip and there just happens to be a walking path that goes across the whole island group. I believe the distance will be around 33 miles with some good elevation changes. That and the Bermuda heat should give me a good benchmark for how I’m coming along.

Wish me luck!

No comments: