6 Marathons in 6 Days? Are You Nuts??!

That's the typical response I get when people discover what I'm attempting, but then running 245kms across the Sahara desert is no easy feat. One of the reasons that I’m taking on this challenge is ‘mid life crisis’ – plain and simple. But there’s another, more relevant reason:

UNICEF is currently working to maintain a number of refugee camp schools to help the 100’s of thousands of children from Darfur that have been displaced from their homes. Most of these child refugees from Darfur have never been to school, living in massive makeshift refugee camps, often having lost one or both parents through violence.” These school perform a vital function and I want to help make a difference by using this opportunity to raise funds and awareness for their maintencance and upkeep.

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Pictures from my cross Bermuda training run for the 2009 Marathon Des Sables

A few pictures from my run across Bermuda:


This is the start of the trail from where I was staying in Hamilton Parish:

One of the many incredible beaches on the island. I so wanted to take a nice cool dip but then I'd be covered in even more salt than I already was!

The railway trail that covers much of Bermuda. There were so many scenic parts of the run on these trails - it was a really amazing experience.

Much of the original railway trail went over water. All that is left are the concrete foundations dotted across the shores of the island.

I almost accidentally inhaled this hitch hiker when I came around a corner and ran smack into his web! Is that a beautiful looking spider or what?
So may incredible bays and canals...


This local cemetary is where I stopped for a wee nap. The heat of the day was just killing me...
Finally, back at the house, exhausted and covered in layers of salt sweat and sunblock.

What a run!







No comments: