6 Marathons in 6 Days? Are You Nuts??!

That's the typical response I get when people discover what I'm attempting, but then running 245kms across the Sahara desert is no easy feat. One of the reasons that I’m taking on this challenge is ‘mid life crisis’ – plain and simple. But there’s another, more relevant reason:

UNICEF is currently working to maintain a number of refugee camp schools to help the 100’s of thousands of children from Darfur that have been displaced from their homes. Most of these child refugees from Darfur have never been to school, living in massive makeshift refugee camps, often having lost one or both parents through violence.” These school perform a vital function and I want to help make a difference by using this opportunity to raise funds and awareness for their maintencance and upkeep.

Monday, August 25, 2008

The day after... more marathon des sables preparation

Well, after my last post I thought I'd get around to actually taking my shoes off and then having a shower.

My feet fared better than they have in shorter runs, but I still had two blisters under the nail beds on my right foot. I took a minute to lance one of them and left the other alone for the moment. With luck I think I'll be able to save the nails and not have yet another case of 'runner's toe'.

While unsightly, the real problem with this sort of injury is that when it comes to 6 days out in the desert something minor like this can turn into something major in a real hurry. Blisters and raw skin that you continue to walk another 200kms on have a way of turning into something remeniscent of a special effect from a zombie flick. Blisters are one of the top reasons for competitors getting pulled from the race. I'll have to keep tweeking my gear and see if I can't stop this from happening.

With shoes off I headed for the shower, turned on the water and did a little shriek... it seems I've managed to do some serious chaffing to certain sensitive spots on my body. Embarassing and painful - an excellent combination.

I went to bed and did not have any roaches run across my body = ) but when I woke up in the morning I found myself walking like a cowboy that has spent too much time on his horse... lol.

Ah well, I'm sure it's nothing that a day spent lying on a sandy beach can't fix.

4 comments:

Dan said...

Hey Ian, thanks for the comments. Yep the knee is still not right. Had a week of rest, went out for a slow 'tester' run last night and it's gradually grinding me doen. I can't help but get the feeling that something is not quite righht with it.

As for backpacks, interesting question. I bought an OMM 25 litre about 6 months ago, but I must admit, I wasn't loving it that much. I also have a few issues about where I want to carry my water. I am no way carrying water bottles on my shoulder straps, just can't be doing with that!

So I looked around and saw the Aarn like you say. As you will have seen, two pouches at the front for water and whatever else we want to put in there. So I went for it and got it. Tried it on with weight in the shop, jumped around in it etc... and I must admit, I'm loving it. Need to take it for a test run, but witht he knee at the moment... God knows when that will be. However I have a 100km race coming up soon, so it better be quick! Anyway's... I'll leave the rucksack option up to you, but I now firmly sit in the Aarn camp, I think the thing rocks, and is just built for long endurance races. The freedom of movement is fantastic and the design and build are just top.

Have I made a decision for you? :)

Cheers,

Dan

Rach's MdS said...

Hi Ian. Thanks for commenting on my blog. Loved the Bermuda write up - very impressive. I sympathise with the toe problems (as you already know). My feet are quite revolting to look at! I have 6 toe nails remaining - the rest are in various stages of growth (or non-existence in 2 cases!). I'll keep track of your blog. Here's to next year!! Rach

Ian Cunliffe said...

Hey Dan,

Thanks for the thoughts on the backpacks. I'm definately swaying towards the Aarn one now. My other choice would be the raidlight 24 liter with the optional frontpack. I guess I'd better hurry up and make a decision.

Sorry to hear about the knee. you've got my sympathies on that one. My right knee has been problematic for a while and it's driving me nuts... the rest of my body is ready to go but I have to keep easing off to keep the knee from getting worse.

Ah well...

Ian Cunliffe said...

Hey Rach,

Yup, that 'runner's toe is an unsightly affair'. Glad to hear you're still hanging in there though. keep me posted on how it's going - I'm looking forward to seeig you and Dan in 2009.

All the best...

Ian C