6 Marathons in 6 Days? Are You Nuts??!

That's the typical response I get when people discover what I'm attempting, but then running 245kms across the Sahara desert is no easy feat. One of the reasons that I’m taking on this challenge is ‘mid life crisis’ – plain and simple. But there’s another, more relevant reason:

UNICEF is currently working to maintain a number of refugee camp schools to help the 100’s of thousands of children from Darfur that have been displaced from their homes. Most of these child refugees from Darfur have never been to school, living in massive makeshift refugee camps, often having lost one or both parents through violence.” These school perform a vital function and I want to help make a difference by using this opportunity to raise funds and awareness for their maintencance and upkeep.

Friday, March 20, 2009

The event is upon us

Well it seems that the event is finally here. I'm flying out Sunday night and the nerves are starting to kick in now. I had a dream the other night that I was competing in an Ironman triathlon and I was the only competitor wearing jeans and dress shoes... go figure.

If anyone would like to check my progress or send me a message you can do so at http://www.darbaroud.com/index_uk.php. You will need to use the following info (i.e. race number, full name and nationality) to send me messages:

796 CUNLIFFE Ian CAN

If that isn't included in the message then I won't receive it. I also understand that there will be another Ian Cunliffe competing in this year's race, so if you are checking times and see me way at the front of the pack then you are definately following the wrong Ian!

I'm off to sort out my kit for the 5th time and I'm sure I'll go over everything 5 more times before I leave for the airport. How much do you want to bet that I'll forget something?

All the best...

Ian

2 comments:

Bryon Powell said...

Crud... my kit... THAT'S what I ws forgetting to do!

See you in OZZ, Ian.

Ian Cunliffe said...

Hey Bryon,

Can't forget that! I'll see you in OZZ if I don't see you at JFK first.

All the best...

Ian